Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Exciting Times for Internet Tough Guys

Here's a new idea that's bound to fill the laps of the 125th Armchair Battalion with puddles of reeking yellow drool: Web-based hunting.

A controversial Web site...offers target practice with a .22 caliber rifle and could soon let hunters shoot at deer, antelope and wild pigs, site creator John Underwood said on Tuesday.

[snip]

He said an attendant would retrieve shot animals for the shooters, who could have the heads preserved by a taxidermist.

Previously, I'd thought that shooting tethered or confined animals at trophy ranches was about as pointless and morally bankrupt as bloodsports could get. Nothing else, I assumed, was likely to match that remarkable combination of cowardice, laziness, and brutality. I stand corrected!

The real question is, can we set something like this up in Fallujah or Mosul, so that America's fearless Keyboard Kommandos can help clean house in Iraq?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, nice bloggie, Phila. Added it to my bookmarks.

Karma's a bitch tie-in to the keyboard hunters: A few days ago in San Antonio, some hunters flying back from one of their male-bonding experiments crashed, killing everyone on board their private airplane (sure sign of Republicans). Oddly enough, the senior citizens home that the wing nicked only scared the old dears. No deaths or injuries for the residents, thank goodness. I'm trying to figure out how to nominate this for a Darwin Award. Somehow, it's begging for it.

Funny... No one's mentioned the fate of the carcasses they dragged back with them... Unless these hapless hutners were as lousy at killing things themselves as the 125th Armchair Battalion? Kinda like Republican warmongers and...Iraq?

Anyhoo, love the blog.

LJ

Phila said...

Hi LJ! Glad I was able to lure you into my parlor! Wanna see my etchings?

Unfortunately, all my halfway sane and literate posts are behind me. I'm just going through the motions from here on out. But it's nice to have company, all the same!

Anonymous said...

Etchings? Well, I've fallen for every line BUT that one. Why not? ;)

Seriously, even your "going through the motions" is much more informative than most people's all-out. But I expected nothing less of you.