A new op-ed by Jeff Jacoby illustrates the rapid evolution of denialist lies. Not long ago, you'll recall, the IPCC corrected a forecast for glacial melting in the Himalayas. The Wall Street Journal noted the error, reassured us that the Himalayan glaciers are unlikely to disappear "anytime soon," and implied that the forecast was wrong primarily because it was too depressing. (The only alarming predictions that have any hope of being correct are those having to do with terrorism, socialism, and homosexuality.)
Jacoby takes the next logical step:
The case for global-warming alarmism is melting faster than those mythical disappearing Himalayan glaciers, but Al Gore isn’t backing down.Initially, they were disappearing more slowly than the IPCC said, bwahahaha. Now, it seems that they're not disappearing at all. I wonder how long it'll be 'til we hear that the Himalayas never actually had any glaciers?
The rest of the column is mere boilerplate: Algore is a fat alarmist liar who has made huge investments in alarmist technologies like solar power and therefore can't be trusted, so let's all listen to Jeff Jacoby instead.
We may as well look at the highlights anyhow. After all, Jacoby's not the only one with space to fill.
- If AGW is real, how come I can engage in arch semantic quibbling over the meaning of the word "pollutant"?
- If we reduce CO2 emissions, there'll be no more trees for you filthy hippies to hug!
- Thanks to CO2, the Chinese have enough money to buy US debt.
- Climategate! Climategate Climategate Climategate! Climategate Climategate Climategate Climategate Climategate! (PS: The significance of Climategate is that no one has doublechecked the evidence for AGW and if they ever do they'll find out it's all lies! OMG CLIMATEGATE!!!)
- The public feels that climate science is somewhat less credible than it used to be. Who, I ask you, would be so undemocratic as to gainsay them?
- We all remember how the Goracle said it would never snow again and each year would be hotter than the last, everywhere on earth, unless we gave him all our money and worshiped him as a god. But now that it's snowing, he suddenly changes his story!
- AGW is a religion because the scientific evidence for it vanishes if you ignore it or don't understand it, just like the scientific evidence for God.
- Glaciers are robust, just like public ignorance.
(Illustration: "The cumulative specific mass balance curves are shown for the mean of all glaciers and 30 ‘reference’ glaciers with (almost) continuous series since 1976. Source: Data from WGMS.")